What are the strengths of bilingual education?
Some of the main benefits of receiving a bilingual education are:
- Increased cognitive development.
- Better academic achievement.
- Improved memory.
- Resistance to dementia.
- Increased economic opportunities.
- Improvements in the executive function of the brain.
What are the four models of bilingual education?
Bilingual education program models
- Transitional bilingual education.
- Immersion bilingual education.
- Two-way or dual language immersion.
- English as a second language.
- Late-exit or developmental bilingual education.
- Effects of mother-tongue instruction.
What are the components of a well designed bilingual program?
Characteristics of Good Bilingual Education Programs
- High expectations for students and clear programmatic goals.
- A curriculum that is comparable to the material covered in the English-only classroom.
- Instruction through the native language for subject matter.
- An English-language development component.
What are two pros and two cons to bilingual education programs?
The Pros and Cons of Bilingual Education for Kids
- My Take on Bilingual Education.
- Improves Cognitive Skills.
- Sharpens Social and Emotional Skills.
- Increases School Engagement and Academic Success.
- Promotes Diversity and Integration.
- Programs Are Inconsistent Over Time.
- Target-Language Content Can Cause Learning Challenges.
What are advantages of being bilingual?
Being bilingual can improve a person’s multitasking skills, attention control, problem solving and creativity as it promotes outside-the-box thinking. It can also help improve your memory – handy when shopping and remembering people’s names!
What is bilingual education model?
A language policy in education under which two languages are used as mediums of instruction. There are several models of bilingual education depending on the goal pursued, the most common being the additive and subtractive models.
What are the benefits of strong bilingual education?
Other desired outcomes of strong forms of bilingual education are cognitive advantages and better school achievement. The goal of our research is to explore how technology can help introducing strong forms of bilingual education for minority language children in mainstream classrooms.
Which is the best prototype for bilingual education?
We present a first prototype (the OCOL model) that successfully recreates a bilingual learning environment. A study into the prototype shows that appropriate technology can help children achieve balanced bilingualism and biliteracy.
Which is an example of a balanced bilingualism?
Balanced bilingualism also implies biliteracy, which describes the ability of reading and writing in two languages. For example, a child who can understand the delivery of the curriculum in school and operate in classroom activity in either language would be considered a balanced bilingual [1, p. 7].
How are submersion programs used in bilingual education?
Submersion programs simply plunge students abruptly into classrooms where their native language is not seen as fit to use, and the medium of instruction is foreign to them, so they involuntarily sink or swim.